I Am the Future Week - A North Idaho Community Comes Together to Share Knowledge and Expertise with its Youth
The Boys & Girls Club's motto is 'Great Futures Start Here.' At the Boys & Girls Club of Kootenai County, Jaymee Paul the Jordan Johnson Site Director, and Tabitha Kraack the Director of Operations, came up with an idea this year to celebrate the core ideal beliefs of the Boys & Girls Club. Jaymee said, "Tab was talking about doing a career week, and we thought it would be a cool idea to do more than just "college" or "career"... so I thought, what about 'I Am the Future', it can be anything, including college, life skills, careers, or trade schools." In accordance with that idea an entire week was filled with future focused activities.
In Kootenai County there are two different Boys & Girls Club locations, one in Coeur d'Alene and one in Post Falls, both were packed with many speakers kindly giving advice and showing youngsters what they do in their day-to-day lives. Some of the guest speakers also created some activities that were a huge hit with the children. Kayla Possman the Sorensen Site Director, talked about one presentation the kids really enjoyed by Dr. Jerry Bailey, a Chiropractor and Acupuncturist, "The children liked it ...because they got to touch a human head and see a human spine. His sons also had acupuncture done to them while he was presenting. It was awesome!" The kids ultimately had lots to choose from during I Am the Future Week there really was something for almost every type of interest.
Not only the children had fun, but Jaymee Paul also stated that the professionals got something from their experiences, "A lot of the guest speakers said they would love to do it again and come back. Every guest speaker told me they enjoyed doing it and they loved the kids' questions. The kids learned a lot, and it is such a great way to get community members in the Club to see what we do."
I Am the Future Week was well received by all parties involved, and will be scheduled again for next year only bigger and better. The event was a community wide show-and-tell that resulted in interactive educational days about diverse career choices such as nursing, engineering, military, law, fitness training, landscaping, and many other fields. This week was created to focus the children's minds towards bright and interesting futures.
Thanks to the Following Individuals and Businesses for their Participation in I Am the Future Week 2016...
- Seth Owens (Music Artist)
- Andrew Kalley (Nurse at Kootenai Medical Center)
- Teresa Borrenpohl (North Idaho College)
- Tim Fortune (KTEC)
- Heath Wiltse (Health Professional from PEAK)
- Sean Johnson (Wells Fargo)
- Ryan Yedinak (How to Sign Up for Scholarships)
- Guy Durocher (Army Base)
- Stu Miller (Kootenai County Police)
- Kayla M. (College Sports)
- Zach Matchett (Learning About Community College)
- Dr. Michael Cadwalleder (Chiropractor at Guardian Health)
- Judd Jones (Writer at CDA Press)
- Troy Speziale (Former Firefighter and Flight Medic)
- Dr. Jerry Bailey (Chiropractor and Acupuncturist at Lakeside Holistic Health)
- Nicola McLachlan (Nurse at Coeur d'Alene Pediatrics)
- Kevin Nelson (Personal Trainer and Manager at the Kroc Center)
- Chris Clark (Civil Engineer at Tri-State Engineering)
- Dwight Bershaw (Landscape Architect at Clearwater Summit Group)
- Katy Casile (Mechanical Engineer)
- Evan McLachlan (Finance Advisor at McLachlan Investments)
- Bill Gifford (Real Estate Agent at Keller Williams)
- Jillian Roderick (Family Law Lawyer at Amendola, Doty, and Brumley)
Key Boys & Girls Club Staff
- Tabitha Kraack
- Jaymee Paul
- Kayla Possman
- Josh Heikkila
- Andrew Kalley
- Ryan Yedinak
- Kayla M.
- Zach Matchett
- Andrew Curry
- Missy Gill
- Sydney Cook