Youth of the Year 2016 - DJ Luby
DJ Luby, 17, Boys & Girls Club of Kootenai County’s Youth of the Year, is a senior at Post Falls High School. DJ has a 3.7 GPA, and sets an example for other Club members of how to manage his social life, job, and high school sports, while maintaining excellent grades in school. DJ plays Varsity football at the high school and enjoys spending times with his friends.
DJ feels the Boys & Girls Club has played an important role in his life and by helping him become who he is today. He has been able to grow at the Club and become confident in his ability to help others from his experiences. DJ has been a Club member for several years and is now a Junior Staff. The other members of the Club are always excited to see DJ and greet him when he walks through the door. The staff also loves when DJ is at the Club. Not only does he work hard, but he makes anyone who he comes into contact with laugh.
DJ is currently on track to go to Boise State and pursue a career in physical therapy. Sports and helping others are huge passions of DJ. It is so exciting to see DJ going after his dreams. With support from his family, friends, and staff, he knows he can achieve anything.
2016 Youth of the Year applicants were Alicia, Ally, Cassie, DJ, Garrett, Hope, Sadie, and Trey. After much debate DJ was chosen from among the 8 outstanding candidates.
*Professional photos taken by Martine Gorrill from Studio 33.
Biographies of the 2016 Speakers
- Alicia is a Junior. This was Alicia's first year participating in the Youth of the Year program. She sets a great example for the younger kids at the Sorensen Site.
- Ally is a Freshman. She has been a member at the Club for several years. She served as the Torch Club President and is currently the Keystone President. This was Ally's first year participating in the Youth of the Year program.
- Cassie is a Freshman. She played soccer for several years. Cassie is a good friend and role model.
- DJ is a Senior. DJ has been a Club member for many years and is now a Junior Staff at the Boys & Girls Club. This was DJ's second year being involved with the Youth of the Year program. He loves football and is on the Varsity team at the high school.
- Garrett is a Freshman. He grew up in the Club from a very young age. This was his first year participating in the Youth of the Year program.
- Hope is an active member and Junior staff at the Boys & Girls Club. This was Hope's fourth year in the Youth of the Year program. She is currently a Junior. She participates in many volunteer and extracurricular activities such as DECA, Blankets of Hope, and Girl Scouts. Hope won Youth of the Year in 2013, click here for more info...
- Sadie is currently a Senior and is on track to attend North Idaho College and play soccer there next year. Sadie is also a Junior Staff at the Post Falls Boys & Girls Club.
- Trey is a Freshman. He is a big part of the community garden crew which he helps with every year. Trey is a key role model for the younger kids at the Club.